M1 Invest Accounts
- Individual Brokerage Account - An account used by an individual account holder to buy and sell stocks, bonds, exchange traded funds, and other types of investments.
- Joint Brokerage Account - An account used to establish equal ownership. At M1, Joint Brokerage Accounts can have two account holders, including but not limited to: couples, parents and their children (over 18 years old), and adults caring for aging parents.
Trust Accounts - An account managed by a trustee for the benefit of the designated beneficiary(ies). Trust Accounts can be set up in M1 through our paper account opening process. When you select "Trust" as your account type in the sign-up process, we’ll send you forms to fill out and return to us.
- As soon as the Trust Account application is processed, you will be able to manage your Trust on the platform the same way you would an Individual or Joint Brokerage Account.
Custodial Account - An account that a custodian sets up for the benefit of a minor. The funds in the account are considered an irrevocable gift until the minor reaches the age of majority.
- Custodial Accounts are only available for M1 Plus users.
Individual retirement account (IRA) - A retirement savings account that allows for tax benefits in saving for your retirement. At M1, you can open a Traditional, Roth, or SEP IRA. Learn more about M1's IRAs.
- Traditional IRA - A tax-advantaged account designed to help people save for retirement. Contributions are generally made with after-tax money but may be tax-deductible if you meet income eligibility. Any potential earnings grow tax-deferred and are not taxed until you withdraw them after age 59½. Read more about Traditional IRAs on the IRS website.
- Roth IRA - A tax-advantaged savings account that provides federally tax-free growth and distributions once it has been open for 5 years and you are at least 59½ years of age. Contributions are made with after-tax income. Read more about Roth IRAs on the IRS website.
- Simplified employee pension (SEP) IRA - A retirement savings account for self-employed individuals or small business owners. A SEP IRA has a higher contribution limit than a Traditional or Roth IRA. M1 currently only support SEP IRAs for self-employed individuals.
- 401(k) rollover - You can rollover your 401(k) from your previous employer to your IRA. Learn more about the rollover process.
- Crypto Account – An account used by the account holder to buy and sell cryptocurrency.
You will gain access to opening an additional account type after you complete opening your first Individual Brokerage Account. This can take up to 24 hours to process.
M1 and its affiliates do not provide tax, legal, or accounting advice. This material has been prepared for informational purposes only. It is not intended to provide, and should not be relied on for, tax, legal or accounting advice. You should consult your own tax, legal, and accounting advisors before engaging in any transaction.