M1 Trust Accounts
M1 Finance supports both revocable and irrevocable Trusts that are authorized to invest in stocks.
The trust must be a U.S. domestic trust in good legal standing with a minimum value of $5,000.
To open an M1 Trust Account, you will need to complete the necessary documentation and have an open and active M1 account. If you don’t already have an M1 account, please follow the steps listed here.
Filling out the Trust Forms
If you’re interested in setting up an M1 Trust Account, here are some things to note while filling out the Trust forms.
For the New Account Application and Agreement
- The Account Name is the name of the trust.
- The DOB is the date your Trust was established.
- If the Trust has a unique Tax ID, make sure to enter this. If you do not know the Tax ID of your Trust account, please reach out to the Administrator of your Trust account.
Select “Please do not reinvest any dividends” for Free Dividend Reinvestment and “No” to participating in the Voluntary Sweep Program as M1 does not offer Dividend Reinvestment or DRIP programs.
For the Certificate of Trust and Investment Powers
If you selected “Margin” as your account type on the New Account Form:
- You must select the first option on the second page in the Certificate of Trust and Investment Powers.
If you selected “Cash” as your account type on the New Account Form:
- leave both options on the second page in the Certificate of Trust and Investment Powers blank.
You can find the Trust forms linked below:
Once you have submitted your Trust Documents, please upload a copy of your government-issued photo ID (driver's license, state ID, passport) using this form.
Please allow 7-10 business days for your M1 Trust Account setup. If any additional documents are needed, we will reach out directly to you via email.