We’re excited to have you join our community! Please follow the steps below to open an account.
- Submit an application.
- You’ll receive an email within one business day either confirming your application’s been approved or asking for a little bit more information.
- If we request a document to verify your identity, we’ll include instructions for uploading your documents securely. Please gives us five to seven days to review the materials and open your account.
At this time, only US Citizens and Permanent Residents (Green Card holders) over the age of 18 with a current US residential address and US phone number can apply to open an M1 Account. Learn more about opening an account outside of the US.
Accounts that M1 supports
Every M1 user must first open an Individual Taxable account or M1 Checking Account before opening any subsequent account. M1 supports the following account types:
- Individual accounts
- Joint accounts
- IRAs (Traditional, Roth, SEP)
- Trust accounts
- Custodial accounts (M1 Plus users only. Learn more and enroll.)
- M1 Checking Accounts
- Owner’s Rewards Card (credit card) accounts
* At this time, Joint accounts can only be hosted under one login. In order to view or make any changes to this portfolio, you will need to use the login that has the Joint account
Learn more about the types of accounts M1 supports.
Can I open multiple Invest accounts under the same login?
You can open up to 5 Invest accounts under your login.
To open an additional account:
- Under the Invest tab click “Portfolio."
- Select the icon that is displaying your portfolio name with the down arrow.
- Click “Add account."
This can only be done after you open your initial Individual account.
Can I open multiple Invest accounts of the same account type?
Each client is eligible to open only one individual account, joint account, Roth IRA, Traditional IRA, and SEP IRA per M1 login.
Multiple custodial accounts and trust accounts may be opened as long as each account is created for a different beneficiary. The same person can not be the beneficiary for multiple custodial accounts or multiple trust accounts.
While you cannot open multiple accounts for every account type, you can add multiple pies to any of your existing accounts. Please see this Help Center article to learn how to add an additional pie to your account.
How do I open an IRA account?
When opening an additional M1 account select Retirement and then select the type of IRA you wish to open.
*You will gain access to opening an IRA account after you complete opening your first Individual account. This can take up to 24 hours to process.
Why does my account need manual verification?
Some new accounts are ‘rejected’ because they require additional documentation for verification. When users sign up, we attempt to automatically verify your identity, but at times are unable to do so with public data sources. Users are often ‘rejected’ because of a security freeze, a typo with their biographic information, or they are between the age of 18-23 and do not have a credit history.
To finish opening your account please contact us.
Why do I need to disclose my personal information?
As a regulated broker-dealer, M1 Finance LLC (“M1,” “we,” “us”) is required to review applications for any number of mandated pieces of information, including those related to Know Your Customer and Customer Identification Program requirements. These regulations are in place to help prevent money laundering and the financing of terrorist activities.