This article will cover:
How do I contact M1?
- Instant Help - the chat bubble icon at the bottom right of your screen.
- Send us an email.
- Give us a call at 312-600-2883.
Our team is available Monday through Friday, from 9 am to 4 pm ET, unless there is a market holiday.
Am I eligible to open an M1 account?
At this time, you must meet all the following criteria to open an account:
- United States’ citizen or permanent residents (green card holders)
- Age: 18+
- Current US residential address
- US phone number
Will M1 be available outside of the US?
We don’t have immediate plans to expand outside the US, but we are excited to continue growing and will announce if anything changes.
What is M1 Finance?
M1 Finance has all you need to take control of your finances with Invest, Borrow, and Spend all in one easy-to-use platform.
- Invest: Flexible, customizable, and automated. It’s your money, intelligently invested the way you want, for free.
- Borrow: A flexible line of credit at a low, low rate. Borrow against your investments at 5-6.5%* without extra paperwork.
- Spend: The best of digital banking, seamlessly integrated with your investments. Empowered to make every cent work hard for you.
We believe in a hands free investment strategy for the long term investor. The platform has the perfect mix of personalization and automation to start making your own money moves. It takes care of the day-to-day tasks so you can concentrate on the big picture.
How much does M1 cost to use?
Unlike other investing platforms, you’ll never be charged commissions or markups on any trades, a platform usage fee, or to deposit or withdraw from your connected bank— because we believe your money should work harder for you.
What are Pies?
A Pie is the building block of your portfolio at M1. It’s where all your stocks and funds live.
Pies allow you to choose your own stocks and funds to build a portfolio completely customized to your unique goals.
You can combine your investment picks into a Pie and build your ideal long-term portfolio.
How does Auto Invest work?
With Auto Invest, M1 directs money from every deposit to make sure your portfolio stays on track with your targets.
That means you can invest cash into your Pie and maintain your investment targets without any manual calculations.
What is Rebalancing?
With M1's Dynamic Rebalancing, every trade with new cash in your portfolio pushes you closer to the target percentages you set.
Whenever your account makes new trades, the algorithm identifies slices that are most relatively underweight and puts money in those first.
What is M1 Plus?
M1 Plus is an annual membership that unlocks benefits including:
- 1.5% reduction on the base rate for M1 Borrow.**
- Access to our afternoon trade window
1% cash back and 2.50% APY*** with your Spend checking account.
Getting started at M1
What account types does M1 support?
- Brokerage accounts (individual, joint)
- Retirement accounts (Traditional, Roth, SEP IRAs)
- Trust accounts
- Custodial accounts
* Custodial accounts are only available for M1 Plus users.
How do I initiate a brokerage transfer into M1?
- Open the desired account type at M1 Finance.
- Download a recent statement from your brokerage.
- Fill out a request.
Why is my account rejected?
Common reasons users are “rejected” include:
- A security freeze
- A typo in your personal information
- You are between the age of 18-23
- You don’t have a credit history
Send us an email to verify and open your account.
How do I open an additional account?
- Click below your name in the top right corner of the webpage.
- Click “Add Account”
- Select the account type
- Click “Menu” in the top left corner.
- Click “Add Account”
- Select the account type
Contact us if you have additional questions about opening your account.
How do I connect and verify my bank?
You can connect your bank through plaid or manually with microdeposits. Learn how to connect and verify your bank.
Trading at M1
How does trading at M1 work?
The trade window is the window of time each weekday when M1 makes all trades for user accounts.
M1 has 2 trading windows:
- 9:30 am ET
- 3 pm ET
The afternoon trade window is exclusively available to M1 Plus members. Find out more about M1 Plus here.
How do I trade with auto-invest?
Most M1 users manage their portfolio with auto-invest turned on.
With Auto Invest on, any time your cash balance meets or exceeds $25, M1 will automatically invest your cash balance into your portfolio.
To select this option, turn Auto Invest on and set your minimum cash balance to $0.
Can you still place manual trades?
M1 Finance allows you to place individual orders to buy or sell stocks directly from specific slices of your portfolio.
To place an order:
- Select the desired slice of your Pie
- Choose Buy/Sell
- Confirm your order details.
Is M1 Finance a robo advisor?
M1 Finance is not a robo advisor. M1 does not place trades for you. The platform empowers you to make trades based on your Auto Invest settings.
How can I change my account information (email, phone number, password)?
Please submit a request to change the account information associated with your M1 Finance account.
You’ll have to upload a photo of a non-expired government-issued photo ID. Once we verify your identity, we will be able to make your requested changes.
Send us an email and we’ll get back with you shortly!
How can I set up recurring deposits?
You can set up recurring deposits into your M1 Finance account through the Invest tab or the Transfers tab.
Learn how to set up recurring deposits through the Invest tab.
Where can I edit my recurring deposits?
- Tap "Transfers"
- Tap on "Rules" next to "Activity."
- Tap "Edit"
Change any of the settings of the transfer, then click "Save.”
- Click the "Transfers" tab at the top of M1 Finance.
- Click on "Rules" next to "Activity."
- Click the transfer you would like to change, then "Edit".
- Change any of the settings of the transfer, then click "Save."
Is M1 insured?
Your security is our priority. We are a registered broker/dealer with FINRA and a member of SIPC.
SIPC (Securities Investor Protection Corporation) protects against the loss of cash and stocks you hold.
Member of SIPC, which protects securities customers of its members up to $500,000 (including $250,000 for claims for cash). Explanatory brochure available upon request or at www.sipc.org
SIPC does not protect you from any decline in the value of your securities. Our clearing firm, Apex Clearing, has also purchased supplemental insurance if SIPC limits are exhausted.
M1 Spend and M1 Plus accounts are FDIC insured up to $250,000 and further insured through Lincoln Savings Bank.
Is my information safe with M1?
Yes. All data transferred and stored within our systems is protected with military-grade 4096-bit encryption.
How do I enable 2FA?
Two-factor authentication (2FA) is the most secure way to identify you and protect your account.
After entering your password, you’ll submit a second piece of information that lets us know it’s you logging in.
The second piece of information is normally an answer to a question, or a code sent to your mobile device.
How do I change my password?
Please visit our website to reset your password.
If you are unable to reset your password, contact us!
* M1 Borrow available on margin accounts with at least $2,000 invested. Not available for all account types. Rates may vary. Borrowing involves additional risks, including the risk of losing more than deposited.
You can borrow up to 40% of your portfolio value via a margin loan at 6.5% interest rate, or 5% if you are an M1 Plus member*.
***No minimum balance to open account or to obtain APY (annual percentage yield). APY valid from account opening. Fees may reduce earnings. Rates may vary.